The Academy Trust of Melksham
The Academy Trust of Melksham (ATOM) is a multi-academy trust of eight schools: Bowerhill, Melksham Oak, St George’s, St Mary’s, Seend, Shaw, The Manor and Forest and Sandridge.
The ATOM was created to enable the schools to build on their existing good practice and collaborative work, whilst preserving each school’s distinctive ethos. We work on the principle of “earned autonomy” in that Schools whose performance causes no concerns are allowed to manage themselves however support and challenge is always present. This is captured in our underlying principles.
Our underlying principles are:
- To deliver great education through a commitment to collaboration to benefit the young people in Melksham and its surrounding villages
- To create a local solution for the local communities served by the schools in the partnership
- To raise aspirations and educational standards and share the great practice within all local schools
- To work on the basis that all of our schools are equal partners – with opportunities for each school within the ATOM to celebrate what they already do well and to develop and improve the practice of all academies within the trust
- To ensure that collaboration, nurture and challenge exists at the heart of our learning community with a culture of aspiration to educational excellence
- To celebrate each schools unique and individual characteristics
- To embrace our ‘earned autonomy’ model - enabling high levels of delegation to local governing committees and headteachers
The Governing Bodies and Headteachers all believe that we are creating something special in Melksham by using this structure. We all believe that it will be of benefit to our young people and our schools. Further information can be found at www.atom.wilts.sch.uk