- Category: houses
We are Castor
Castor as a star is made up of six stars (see pic), the reason that it is one of the brightest stars in the sky is because these individual small stars shine together. As part of Castor house you are a star individually but you are also part of our team and we couldn’t shine as brightly without each of you. Castor as a house is all about opportunities to shine; no matter what your age, gender, background or school grades. We value each of you, every different skill and quality. Whether you’re ace at PE or Pokemon Go, really creative or really comical, super at putting your hand up or super at homework, it all matters to us.
As a member of our house remember...
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
Because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
I’d rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
For a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are.”
By Milton Berle
Castor is the Alpha star in the Gemini constellation meaning that if you are part of Castor House you are automatically part of the A-team already ;-)
Miss Davis, Head of Castor
What do we get up to ; 2016 - 2017
During the academic year 2016 – 2017 the house leaders worked really hard to organised and run…
- Had a Disney fancy dress day to raise money for Wiltshire Air Ambulance, which included a lunch time Disney sing-a-long and a Big Star Wars Quiz.
- Ran a valentines post box so students could secretly send some love to their fellow students
- Opened Hollywood Hot Chocolates for 3 days - selling the Jim Carey, Kim Kardashian and Donald Trumps of hot chocolates. We raised £150 for Wiltshire Air Ambulance
- We co-hosted a race night with Omega house and raised over £250 for both of our house charities
- We organised a Christmas fancy dress photo booth at the school community Christmas fayre…
…amongst other things. Castor pride themselves on being pro-active, finding opportunities to bring the school together whether its over hot chocolates or gooey valentines cards.
What do we get up to ; 2017 - 2018
For this academic year so far we have…
- nominated and voted for a new house charity – Hope and Homes for Children
- Co-organised and ran a community quiz night with Sirius house, from which we raised £400 for our two hosue charities
- Organised a Staff Lip Sync Battle on our Stars-in-their-Eyes themed non-school uniform day. Raising £320 for Melksham based charity People Against Poverty
- Run our Christmas fancy dress photo booth for the second year in a row at the school community Christmas fayre.
…and we still plan to….
- Organise a fundraising event for valentine’s day
- Help run the transition days where we invite year 5s and year 6s to come and experience the school for a day.
- As well as many other things that we haven’t even thought of yet!
Every Friday tutorial all four houses are running house competitions in the canteen for any students that wish to take part. They are a bit wacky, and design to give our students chance to use special party-trick skills they might have, that they unfortunately can’t get a GCSE in, like eating dry crackers or navigating blindfolded! Everyone should have taken part by the end of the year, so get thinking what your party trick is!
Our Castor house leaders…
Our Castor house leaders, are two students selected from every year group from year 8 and up. They play a hugely important role in the school:
If you have any ideas for our house, or want to be involved in some way come and see Miss Davis in L23 or email email@example.com
Year 7 Camp 2017